Author Topic: So, I'm driving for Lyft now...  (Read 686 times)

SpaceMonkey

• MaximPad
So, I'm driving for Lyft now...
« on: May 11, 2017, 06:51:35 pm »
In between sending out resumes and talking to recruiters on the phone, I decided to get out of the house and make some money, so I can keep my apartment and my car. All my savings were spent the last time I was off work, so this time, I've nothing.

I applied at Costco, Best Buy, Amazon's warehouse, even Toys R Us. Guess I'm over qualified. They would not hire me.

So, I've been driving for Lyft, the competitor to Uber, for a week now, and it's been fun! I meet lots of nice people and have seen parts of Charlotte, NC and parts of South Carolina that I've never seen before. Some parts, I never want to see again.

I figured out how to work the airport and the best rides come out of there. Usually long, well paid rides. I've made close to $300 in a week. As I learn more, I'll do better.

Hanging out in the airport lot with some 60 other Uber and Lyft drivers, while waiting our turn to get our ride, I've heard some great stories from drivers and learned some tips, as we smoke cigs and wait. Sometime I wait at the airport for an hour and a half until it's my turn. I read a book to kill the time. Other dudes and gals polish their cars, use the porta potty or smoke. But most often, I only have to wait 20 minutes for a fare. Then it's usually a long $20 ride. It adds up quick. It's fun. And gets me out of the apartment to enjoy the day.

MUFDVR

• MaximPad
  • WTF is This
Re: So, I'm driving for Lyft now...
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2017, 11:27:32 am »
I hope it works out.  But for someone who likes to drink a lot, this doesn't appear to be a wise job choice. 

"Hey Buddy, you OK to drive?"

"Fuck you, I was in Fight Club!"
I mongered Dillver's mom.

SpaceMonkey

• MaximPad
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 06:40:12 pm »
Ha! I've been driving Lyft for 3 weeks now. I haven't driven Lyft drunk even once. In fact, keeping myself busy driving has kept me from sitting around drinking like cray cray. I drive from 7 am to 7 pm just to make $125.00 or so in fares, so after Lyft takes their 25%, I get $100 a day.

I've given 150 rides so far.

I have three irons in the fire right now at Bank of America for jobs to get back to a real career. Until then, I drive...

No real funny stories so far about driving Lyft except I picked up a trans sexual who was on her phone in my back seat talking about being a man changed into a woman to some guy, and she says, "The mens want to fuck me but don't want to touch "it". And one dude who needed to vomit, so I pulled over on the highway and he puked in the weeds. And one dude who had me drive him for an hour and a half to run his errands all around the ghetto. Cool dude. We became friends, until I dropped him off and never want to see him again. I think we made drug deliveries. 

justin

• MaximPad
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 05:40:59 am »
So Lyft doesn't do background checks on it's driver's, and will let any degenerate fuck work for them.

MUFDVR

• MaximPad
  • WTF is This
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2017, 03:25:04 pm »
Does anyone keep in contact with him on FB and know if he's still alive?  He could be homeless by now. 
I mongered Dillver's mom.

SpaceMonkey

• MaximPad
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2017, 09:37:55 pm »
I've been pretty close to homeless since my last job ended, but:

I'm still alive and kicking and still ready to kick all ass. Yeah!

I've been driving for Lyft lately and have given 400 rides to passengers! Driving for Lyft made my rent last month, but:

Better yet, I start a new job at TIAA CREF as a content strategy manager at $70 an hour on July 10th. It will be good to have funds again.

It's been rough. The electric co shut off my power a couple weeks back and my garage door wouldn't work, so I had to sleep in my car overnight. (My apartment keys were inside). I had beer with me so I drank in my car 'til dawn.

I've needed money so I sold one of my guitars. I sold all of my silver coins to Nikki, who met me for lunch and gracefully bought lunch as I was broke ass broke.

I'll still drive Lyft sometimes because it's fun. I meet some wacky folks and some hot broads. I have lots of stories to tell. All cool peoples that I've met.

Other than that, I spend a lot of time with my boys Simon (8) and Maxwell (12). Simon just ended a baseball season and hit his first home run!

Bob Money

• MaximPad

SpaceMonkey

• MaximPad
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2017, 10:53:54 pm »
I will buy that island.

futtbuck

• MaximPad
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2017, 04:16:37 pm »
I'm thinking about driving for Lyft/Uber to make some extra scratch. I may end up losing my Lexus but god-damn it I'm going to milk it for all it's worth before that happens.

SpaceMonkey

• MaximPad
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2017, 02:25:23 pm »
Give it a shot. Driving for Lyft was a lot of fun.

Don't feel like it's "Below you" to do it. A lot of every day people drive for Lyft/Uber. It's something to do until you find your way again. It beats working at Subway or staying around home all day feeling bad for yourself.

A few of the Lyft drivers I saw at the airport Lyft/Uber staging lot drove BMWs and Lexus. Use your Lexus. People will get a thrill out of being in a fancy car. If it's black, you can be a black car driver for Uber.

futtbuck

• MaximPad
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2017, 07:13:48 pm »
Don't feel like it's "Below you" to do it.

Oh, no way. I'll wear a black suit like I'm The Transporter.  :D :D :D

SpaceMonkey

• MaximPad
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2017, 01:25:55 pm »
Lyft is sending me emails saying if I give 50 rides in a week, they'll give me $650 even if the rides don't total that amount.

futtbuck

• MaximPad
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2017, 02:58:35 pm »
Lyft is sending me emails saying if I give 50 rides in a week, they'll give me $650 even if the rides don't total that amount.

Like, $650 on top of what you'd normally earn? Or they're bumping your pay to $650 for those rides?

Dude I have a nice car. I'll fucking drive people around. It's got to be better than chasing businesses around to become clients, then chasing them around just to get fucking paid after I do the work.

futtbuck

• MaximPad
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2017, 03:02:53 pm »
I applied at Costco, Best Buy, Amazon's warehouse, even Toys R Us. Guess I'm over qualified. They would not hire me.

Sucks. I sent out resume #60 just today and what do I have to show for it? 3 interviews, 1 lowball offer, and a whole pile of "thanks, but no thanks" responses.

SpaceMonkey

• MaximPad
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2017, 07:36:29 am »
Lyft would bump your pay up to $650 if you didn't make that much on your own for the week.

I, too, applied to Costco, Best Buy, Toys R Us etc. back in April-May-June when I was out of work. I got no hits. Best Buy flat out turned me down. Amazon's warehouse wanted to hire me, but I was making more driving Lyft than what they wanted to pay.